Sunday, January 16, 2011

Señor Rogers

Hooray! We've discovered that while the full shows are impossible to buy anywhere, clips of Mr. Rogers are viewable on the PBS website. Daniel and Joaquin spent close to an hour watching the clips from various factories. You can see from his rapt expression in this photograph that Joaquin was totally absorbed. I'm not sure what his favorite was, but he definitely enjoyed the crayon factory, one of my favorites of old. I had heard, but never really believed until I had a boy, that boys frequently prefer non-fiction. Joaquin definitely likes informational books and these clips where right up his alley. Another example of this information love is Joaquin's 'ornament' (pictured here). I forget what brought the subject up, but Joaquin was insisting that you can't bend metal. So to show him that it really depends on the type of metal and the thickness, Daniel got a metal coat hanger out and bent it and I got out some tin foil. Joaquin was quite intrigued by this and we had a nice discussion about different types of metal. We also showed him, using a small refridgerator magnet, how the aluminum foil isn't magnetic but the steel coathanger is. Then we discovered that nail clippers are way too thick to bend, even by someone as powerful as Joaquin, and are magnetic. Joaquin was so enchanted by this information that he created an 'ornament' out of our various different examples. While I saved the nail clipper, he insisted the rest of it be packed away with the other Christmas decorations. Here's hoping he doesn't recognize it next year. :)


No comments: