Wednesday, January 12, 2011

El Dia de los Reyes, 2011

We celebrated Dia de los Reyes again this year. Joaquin even elected to stay home from Cubbies and celebrate with us and some adult friends. (He was warned we would be boring, but he seemed to have a great time.) Here he is modeling his creation for holding his pants' legs up. It didn't seem to really work, but it definitely invoked images of my father clipping up his pants legs when he wanted to bicycle. Since Joaquin has never seen that happen, I thought he was very clever. And here's a similar pose after discovering the bean in his portion of our Rosca. Hooray for our king for the day. I tried a new recipe this year and it was definitely yummy and a little less sickly sweet than last year. But it didn't look near as pretty since the fruits on the top went through the baking cycle. However, dried apricots are still good baked, and luscious when warm. You can see we had very little trouble eating it. Joaquin helped me maked it of course, but that wasn't our only creative outlet for this mini-holiday. I also finished creating the Magi for our Nativity Scene. I ended up making them after Joaquin went to sleep so he was quite surprised and excited to see them the next morning. To make sure he didn't feel totally out of the loop, he helped me create and attach the gifts. He can also tell you which one is gold, which one is frankincense and which one is myrrh. He was very specific about that. I even had to pretend to put some olive
oil in the myrrh 'jar' so that it would have some sort of fragrant oil in it. We ended the day by putting out some hay (actually some dead flowers from the garden) for the generous, gift-giving camel and singing "We Three Kings of Orient are". Fun times.

No comments: