Friday, January 22, 2010

Mi nombre


Joaquin and I have a new game; typing on the computer. I open up Word, put the font to 48+ and let him type away. I show him how the key he types appears on the screen. (This was pretty instinctive for him since I've been trying to get him used to mouse use for awhile. I'm not really succeeding, but he knows that the arrow on the screen is the 'mouse'. It's really funny b/c frequently he'll point to an arrow on a sign and say, "Mommy, what does that mouse say?".) While he enjoys making rows and rows of semi-colons (and his pronunciation of that is wildly entertaining), we've also been reviewing letters and typing his name. He now likes to tell me his middle name is Ignacio Headley, just like Daddy's. We know because we typed out his full name and Daddy's full name and the last parts look exactly the same! (He can write a fairly recognizable J, so we're well on our way to writing our own name. Really important since many Sunday School/Swimming Lesson/VBS teachers can't spell it right!) Anyway, to supplement this new interest in the letters of his name, we also put up some pictures of objects that look like the letters in his name. Sal & Erika gave them to us, and you can totally see the letters. Even Joaquin recognized several of them before I told him what they were. Plus, Chelsey gave him a cute little sign with his name in fancy calligraphy/pictures, so his room now has 3 large copies of his name. This all bore fruit the other night when he came up to me with his favorite little black hose and held it up in a U shape and said, "Mommy, what letter is this?". When I guessed correctly he made an O, an I and then a J. Of course I got out my camera and took pictures so he came up with a Q as well. He just made an O and stuck his little finger out for the tail. Daddy took charge and helped him come up with A and N. He thought it was the coolest thing!
























No comments: