
Brace yourselves for some excitement folks, we're basically caught up with blogs. Seriously, this blog actually happened on Epiphany, that is January 6th, and today is only the 8th! I'm back on track and feeling fabulous!
So Joaquin and I decided to celebrate Epiphany/Twelfth Night/Día de Reyes this year. (Which, in case you didn't know, is when the Magi arrived to worship Jesus, acc
ording to Catholic tradition.) Well, I decided and Joaquin as my shadow had to join in. We made a Kings' cake or Rosca de Reyes and decorated it the Mexican way (at least according to my research) with a little sugar and dried fruit. So take that all of you folks who hold to the New Orleans' method of green, purple and gold sugar stripes. I wish I had known that the tradition is to keep your Nativity scene up until February and only put the Magi figures out on Epiphany. Isn't that fun? We've already put away most of the Christmas decorations so we had to skip that part of the celebration. Still, we put a pinto bean (to stand for baby Jesus) in the cake and took
it to our small group that evening. Daniel actually got the bean in his slice, which is fortunate since it means that now we have to host a Dia de la Candelaria party with tamales, and I'd hate to put that responsibility on our friends from New Jersy! Joaquin refused to eat any cake despite helping make it, instead stealing basically all the dried apricots from the top. Then he discovered a new way to play with his hoodie. He
was doing this for quite awhile, so I took some secret photographs. Then we took some dried grass from our friends' yard to put in Joaquin's shoe for the Wise Men's camels. The next morning those nice camels had left Joaquin a present! (Don't worry, I realize he's had a million presents, these were simply a few little sets of Duplos that I bought utilizing so
me of his Christmas money from Greatpa-pa.) Unfortunately it appears those camels really like tape. Those presents took like five minutes to open!
ording to Catholic tradition.) Well, I decided and Joaquin as my shadow had to join in. We made a Kings' cake or Rosca de Reyes and decorated it the Mexican way (at least according to my research) with a little sugar and dried fruit. So take that all of you folks who hold to the New Orleans' method of green, purple and gold sugar stripes. I wish I had known that the tradition is to keep your Nativity scene up until February and only put the Magi figures out on Epiphany. Isn't that fun? We've already put away most of the Christmas decorations so we had to skip that part of the celebration. Still, we put a pinto bean (to stand for baby Jesus) in the cake and took
it to our small group that evening. Daniel actually got the bean in his slice, which is fortunate since it means that now we have to host a Dia de la Candelaria party with tamales, and I'd hate to put that responsibility on our friends from New Jersy! Joaquin refused to eat any cake despite helping make it, instead stealing basically all the dried apricots from the top. Then he discovered a new way to play with his hoodie. He
was doing this for quite awhile, so I took some secret photographs. Then we took some dried grass from our friends' yard to put in Joaquin's shoe for the Wise Men's camels. The next morning those nice camels had left Joaquin a present! (Don't worry, I realize he's had a million presents, these were simply a few little sets of Duplos that I bought utilizing so
me of his Christmas money from Greatpa-pa.) Unfortunately it appears those camels really like tape. Those presents took like five minutes to open!
No comments:
Post a Comment