Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tinturando los Huevos

To prepare for Easter we had a fun evening with Aunty Boo-boo, Uncle Brian and Joaquin's friend 'Jane' and her family. (Jane is not her real name but as I haven't warned her mother I'm putting her on the blog, I won't connect her face with her actual name!) Joaquin and I had pre-made some Easter sugar cookies with some cool new cookie cutters and I bought frosting for them to color and use. Unfortunately I was cooking dinner and Daniel's daddy instincts aren't as fast as my mommy reflexes so we ended up with some odd colors. Still who doesn't want a purple bell and a green bunny, right? Notice how Jane is totally concentrating on frosting. For a three-year old she was dang good on it. Joaquin on the other hand used his frosting mostly to eat. On the upside, he did end up with this fabulous purple frosting handlebar mustache. This picture cracks me up b/c he's totally leaning forward and sneering. If the mustache was black instead of purple he would be Rhett Butler! After dinner (which Joaquin ate only sparingly, surprise, surprise) we dyed Easter eggs. Since Jane's mommy brought two dozen with her, we ended up dying 3 dozen eggs, which is quite impressive. Joaquin and Jane were interested the whole time, and even did some carefully supervised placing of eggs. Jane in particular always wanted every color to have an egg in it, so if I took an egg out she would immediately get another in. We ended up with some odd eggs, but many pretty ones as well as a 'black' egg for Joaquin. He had been talking about how we would have black Easter eggs (do not know where this came from) and since he was so adamant about it, we tried by using a brown egg and dipping it in the purple. It came out somewhat blackish so it made Joaquin happy and then he forgot about it, of course. Anyway, Joaquin and Jane were quite happy with their eggs and the end result looked very springlike in their little cartons. We're ready for the egg hunt everyone!

No comments: