Monday, April 19, 2010

Almuerzo en el Parque


The weather's staying nice and the juniper pollination is ending. Hallelujah! So Joaquin and I have been spending a ton of time outdoors. Lovely ABQ is home to very few flying bugs so it's even possible to leave the doors open for a few hours so Joaquin and Chita can wonder in and out of the backyard. Take that my friends in greener climes! We also revived a last-summer tradition of lunch in the park with our friend 'Jane' and her mommy. Joaquin and his friend managed to do some actual playing together (an accomplishment at this age, at least for Joaquin and other boys). My favorite was watching them march in circles. This park was re-vamped at some point, moving the playground farther from the road. The old concrete curb is still in place, just filled with dirt and grown-over with grass. Joaquin finds this very intriguing so he led Jane on a little journey around it. They looked very charming following the 'circle', a modern take on Hansel & Gretal. They also played with a little girl they met on the playground and all was well until she tackled Joaquin as he was playing pretend under the playset. Apparently she has an older brother with whom she likes to wrestle, but my non-aggressive little kidlet simply yelled at her to get off as she pinned him into the dirt. Fortunately he didn't really throw her off b/c I don't think he would have done it playfully, not really knowing the game. After I rescued him I thought, should we teach this child to wrestle? It's not a game we ever play, Daniel being more of the snuggle with my boy type and this is the second time it's put Joaquin at a disadvantage. His buddy Caleb is forever trying to wrestle him and Joaquin is usually offended and annoyed by it. Are we ignoring some essential piece of childhood here?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The answer is maybe yes and I will make it a point to wrestle with Joaquin thoroughly the next time I see him! Don't worry, he'll like it- he'll win. :)