Monday, November 2, 2009

En Colorado Springs


So back in October, after we left Patience, Joaquin and I picked Daddy up at the Denver airport. (We got a ticket for Daniel to come help us drive back for $40! Can you believe that?) Then we drove down to Colorado Springs and spent the night with Dora and Bill. Joaquin was obviously overjoyed to be at a place where he was the focus of all adult attention. While I reveled in not having to care for Joaquin (I hate single parenthood, even if it's for a few days), he and Mi-mo had a great if extremely hyper evening. Putting him to bed was exciting, I had to threaten to spank him if he giggled one more time. (Does that make me evil?) We woke up the next morning to a winter wonderland. (I love how we spent a week of lovely weather in Ft. Collins and then Colorado Springs was freezing!) Despite the chill, Joaquin couldn't resist that lure of snow and Mi-mo's playset, so he, Daddy and Mi-mo played while I took pictures and tried not to freeze. (Totally not packed for that kind of weather!) Despite being an absolutely wimp about hot weather, Joaquin loves the cold. I guess it's no surprise, Albuquerque had insane amounts of snow the year he was born, which was totally a sign! He can play outside in the cold until he really is too cold, so I had to bring him in eventually. Fortunately we had purchased mittens in Ft. Collins so his hands weren't frozen. In fact the mittens helped me realize it was a little too cold for prolonged play. He tried to cross the monkey bars (with a little help, he can hang, but the swing to the next bar requires adult support) and then started just touching the next bar instead of trying to hang on. Noticing his lack of participation, Daniel lowered him and then realized his mitten was still stuck to the bar. Anyway it was a nice little mini-vacation after our visit with Patience and Joaquin behaved relatively well for the ride home. He refused to take a nap but spent the hour and half I wouldn't talk to him or let him watch Max & Ruby pretending things. It was hysterical to listen to and try to understand what he was doing. He spent a good twenty minutes crumbling his blanket and twirling it around talking about how it was going "chuga chuga in the dryer". (I think he means the washer since that really does go chuga chuga, but it's his game.) Got home safe and sound before the winter blizzard hit Santa Fe (seriously, came through like an hour before it got ugly) and dove right back in to everyday life.

No comments: