
Joaquin grew another half inch lately, which makes two inches since April. If you think of that as a percentage of his total height it's absolutely ridiculous. It's also really sad b/c his little body really looks like a boy and not a toddler. He's getting so leggy (evidence; picture on left) that it makes my heart hurt a little. Fortunately he still does lots of things to help me realize how young he still is. First of all, despite being extremely verbal (I'm saying that semi-sarcastically at first it was nice to be able to talk, then I was proud, now I'm just tired of answering questions!) he's still difficult to understand on occasion. My favorite - the kieled sign. He shouts out in the car "Kieled, Kieled!" which means he's seen a Yield sign. Now it's just fun and I say, "oh yeah I see the yield sign" but before I figured out what he was talking about, he got very frustrated at me. I'm most entertained when he tells me, "Mommy we're going to kieled". It sounds like I have a baby gangster in the backseat urging me on a hit. He also has trouble with automatic, he swallows the beginning and ending vowels almost completely. We were walking to the bathroom in the grocery store the other day (he now loves to visit the potty at any store we're at - do you know what bathrooms are like at grocery stores? Let's hope you neve
r do) and he asks me in his piercing voice, "Is this potty a maggot potty?" While I'm looking at him confused a woman walks by looking at me in horror. I don't know what she thought, it's not like maggot potty is an obvious bad word or something, I would have simply assumed I didn't understand what he was saying, but whatever! Finally he told me, "Is it a maggot potty or do we have to flush it?" All was made clear. He's also such a baby still about clothes. He really has little to no interest in dressing or even undressing himself. We practice and he
can kind of do it, but not without serious supervision. However he was apparently enjoying his after nap semi-nudity the other day and protested strenuously when I put a shirt on him. Since I ignored him (the house was cold!) he tried to take it off himself with this result. After I finished laughing at him I did take it off him but it did make me realize he's light years from self-sufficiency even in small matters. Finally, he's still a ridiculously messy eater. Most of this comes from taking too big of bites so bits fly off the spoon when he puts them in his mouth, but some comes from weird habits he has. For example, he refuses to let us cut PB&J sandwiches into manageable sizes. He wants the whole two slice sandwich in one p
iece. And then he just eats straight down the middle letting the sides ride up his face and smear his cheeks with crumbs, jelly and peanut butter. Lovely clean-up that. This annoys Daniel excessively (I think it just seems really inefficient which is hard for Daniel), so he has attempted to show Joaquin how to eat from the sides as well without any noticeable success. Why change an eating pattern that works just because it makes a mess that you don't have to clean up? Anyway despite new height and potty training, he's still really little. Thank goodness!
r do) and he asks me in his piercing voice, "Is this potty a maggot potty?" While I'm looking at him confused a woman walks by looking at me in horror. I don't know what she thought, it's not like maggot potty is an obvious bad word or something, I would have simply assumed I didn't understand what he was saying, but whatever! Finally he told me, "Is it a maggot potty or do we have to flush it?" All was made clear. He's also such a baby still about clothes. He really has little to no interest in dressing or even undressing himself. We practice and he
can kind of do it, but not without serious supervision. However he was apparently enjoying his after nap semi-nudity the other day and protested strenuously when I put a shirt on him. Since I ignored him (the house was cold!) he tried to take it off himself with this result. After I finished laughing at him I did take it off him but it did make me realize he's light years from self-sufficiency even in small matters. Finally, he's still a ridiculously messy eater. Most of this comes from taking too big of bites so bits fly off the spoon when he puts them in his mouth, but some comes from weird habits he has. For example, he refuses to let us cut PB&J sandwiches into manageable sizes. He wants the whole two slice sandwich in one p
iece. And then he just eats straight down the middle letting the sides ride up his face and smear his cheeks with crumbs, jelly and peanut butter. Lovely clean-up that. This annoys Daniel excessively (I think it just seems really inefficient which is hard for Daniel), so he has attempted to show Joaquin how to eat from the sides as well without any noticeable success. Why change an eating pattern that works just because it makes a mess that you don't have to clean up? Anyway despite new height and potty training, he's still really little. Thank goodness!
No comments:
Post a Comment