Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Feliz Cumpleaños Dr. Seuss

 Joaquin's class had Wacky Wednesday last week in honor of Dr. Seuss's upcoming birthday.  They were supposed to wear their clothes and hair wacky.  Unfortunately we missed it because Joaquin was coughing and claimed his throat was 'itchy'.  When he remembered that he missed Wacky Wednesday he was absolutely heartbroken and we had a minor meltdown about it.  So Thursday morning when we went to hang out with Uncle Matty (I had a doctor appt.) we wore wacky shoes.  As in two different shoes and two different socks.  Then Uncle Matty was so kind as to style Joaquin's hair wackily and then take pictures.  Joaquin loved it.  (Entertainingly enough, they also printed out the crests for all the Oxford colleges and Cambridge colleges.  My mother has a coaster with some of the crests on it that she purchased at Oxford.  Joaquin loves it and always asks questions about it, so he was delighted that Uncle Matty actually knew something about the subject.  So now I have some papers with these crests on them that I must apparently keep for time immemorial.)  Today Joaquin's class celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday by wearing their PJs to school and reading "The Cat in the Hat" and then watching a movie version.  Joaquin is a Dr. Seuss fan, his favorites including, "If I Ran the Circus", "I Saw it on Mulberry Street", and "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins".  However he's only vaguely familiar with "The Cat in the Hat".  But I think he enjoyed it since he was able to repeat the plot verbatim along with several lines from it (I could tell because they rhymed).  They even got these cute little Cat in the Hat hats.  Yay for a children's author who's famous enough to inspire a pre-school day.

No comments: