One of the joys of December is increased playtime with out-of-town friends. Although since Kara is here frequently and we always make time to play when she is, I think Joaquin has as many play dates with Allie as he does with some in town friends! We also had Allie over for most of a day while Kara went off to Colorado to see her sister. Both kids were really very good for most of the day. (They've been playing together much better lately.) I think something in them realizes when you just can't handle too much stress and they behave accordingly. My favorite part was Allie wearing

Joaquin's ugly black tennis shoes (they're for going in snow). She didn't want to wear hers (she had come over in pjs) but somehow Joaquin's were more exciting. We even went to Target and tried on other shoes, but she was still willing to put these suckers back on. I think the magic is simply that they were Joaquin's. She definitely loves to imitate him. Everything he did, she wanted to do. Fortunately Joaquin can be pretty good at coming up with little games. He had a great time showing Allie how to shine a flashlight into a balloon. He kept telling me it was liking watching TV. (Which I guess it kind of is.) He also kept laying on his back and waving the flashlight at the ceiling to

show Allie the reflections. I guess Allie admired his technique b/c when Joaquin finally gave up control of the flashlight, this is what she did. Nice. Then we decorated gingerbread cookies. (It was a kit, I do not bake gingerbread since that involves molasses and I hate working with that stuff! I do not recommend it.) Joaquin and I had decorated one for the tree earlier, but Allie grabbed a cookie, smelled the ginger and immediately took a bite out of the head. After that some decoration took place but a lot of eating of the gumdrops and sprinkles also happened. Then when they were truly done decorating they

switched cookies and ate each others. Don't ask me how children who can't share a box of crayons can happily eat each other's cookies. It makes absolutely no sense;I realize this, but I can't explain it. Allie even helped me put Joaquin down for a nap (we read a lot of books, but then he decided he was tired and crawled nicely into bed) and we watched cartoons until Grandma came to pick her up. (Her favorite is Curious George, but I quite enjoyed Winnie the Pooh and the Super Sleuths.) Good to know I can make two toddlers work for a full day - this parenting thing is a snap. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment