Saturday, September 24, 2011
El Día de Labor, 2011
We went up to the mountains for a picnic on Labor Day, very cliche I know. Impressively enough everyone was free so, Great-grandma, Grandpa, Grandma, Uncle Matty, Aunty Boo-boo and Uncle Bryan were all there. Plus Jo-jo-hanna and the Sturdys. So it was crazy fun all the way around. The picnic area was beautiful, but unfortunately already inhabited by a nest of hornets. (And nest is the correct term, I know because we just checked out a book that tells the names for various groups of insects) And we know they were hornets cause they went for the meat! We had brought a bunch of lunch meat for sandwiches and they were on it like nobody's business. Daniel actually ended up doing a little knife fight with them just to get his share (I'm still really upset that I never got that on camera!), until finally Uncle Bryan came up with a fancy plan for trapping most of them. Very clever Uncle Bryan, and thank goodness because Aunty Boo-boo is NOT a fan of stinging insects and was desperately in need of a hero. After a lunch and the accompanying excitement was over, we went for a hike to utilize Joaquin's cool walking stick. Per usual, Joaquin had a great time picking up small pieces of nature. Sometimes he is a such a boy, sticks and rocks are sooooo exciting. Then I went home with Jamie (it was her naptime) and Joaquin, Daddy and all the other youngsters took a trip to the wonderous land of Kitsch that is Tinker Town. This is a museum of bizarro machines and various random bits of junk that is located on the trail up to the Sandia Crest. Every Albuquerque child has visited it at one point or the other and it's definitely unique...... However both Daddy and Joaquin had a good time. I feel we packed a lot into a small holiday.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment