Sunday, August 14, 2011

Las Cuerdas, Los Bichos y Las Rosas

This looks a little like Joaquin is in Hawaii, but actually it's just a rope we made with yarn.  For some reason Joaquin got interested in making ropes (he found some extra yarn and started playing with it, that must of started it) so I've been doing a lot of braiding.  Unaided for the most part, because Joaquin gets bored.  Oh well, he's jazzed about the end product.  His other current interests are bugs and picking up bits of stuff outside (seriously).  We have to check out multiple books on bugs everytime we go to the library and then we actually read them, over and over.  What Joaquin can't tell you about bug life cycles is not worth knowing, at least not for the average person.  And I bet you didn't know that the pupa stage is actually pronounced 'poo-pa', at least that's what Joaquin claims.  His other interest, random bits of nature, is very entertaining.  We were at some friends' house the other night and he spent all this time in the back yard picking up seed pods and stuffing them with fallen flowers and pieces of grass.  He notices little pieces everywhere and wants to know what they are!  I'm pretty good with botany but he challenges me.  Anybody else know what every little seed pod is from?  Well that's what he expects.  So tonight he and Daddy were cleaning up the yard and they found some rosehips.  Or as Joaquin likes to call them, 'rose apples'.  So I told Joaquin that people used to make tea out of rosehips and he got a little confused.  He kept talking about making letters and then told me he wanted to make an H.  I finally figured out he thought I meant the letter T, not the drink!  Oh kidlet.  So he and Daddy actually looked up a recipe online and made rosehip tea.  Surprisingly tasty.

No comments: